Air fryers have become a popular kitchen appliance for those looking for a healthier way to cook their food. Instead of deep frying in oil, air fryers use hot air to cook food and give it a crispy texture. They are compact in design so they can be easily fitted on your kitchen countertop.
The new rapid air technology uses a very little amount of oil to cook food. The hot air rapidly circulates inside the air fryer to cook food and cut fat up to 80%. That’s why air-fried food is good for health. It provides the same taste and texture as deep oil fried food without sacrificing taste.
But one question that many people have is whether or not they can you use steel bowl in air fryer. The short answer is yes, you can use a steel bowl in an air fryer. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when doing so.
But now air fryers not only air fry but also bake, roast, dehydrate, grill, and much more cooking work can be done in one machine. The cooking versatility of air fryers makes them the ultimate kitchen appliance. During cooking work, the inner temperature reaches up to 450°F to 500°F. So the new users are afraid to use any materials in air fryers. Their afraid is right because a little mistake can be a reason for a fatal accident.
First, it’s important to note that steel bowls are not typically included with air fryers. Most air fryers come with a basket or tray that is specifically designed for use in the appliance. This means that if you want to use a steel bowl, you will need to purchase one separately.
When using a steel bowl in an air fryer, it’s important to make sure that the bowl is the right size for your appliance. The bowl should fit comfortably inside the air fryer without being too large or too small. If the bowl is too large, it may impede the hot air flow, which can affect the cooking time and result. If the bowl is too small, the food may not cook evenly.
Another thing to keep in mind when using a steel bowl in an air fryer is that the bowl may become hot during the cooking process. This is normal, but you should use oven mitts or tongs to handle the bowl to avoid burns.
It’s also important to note that using a steel bowl in an air fryer may result in a longer cooking time. This is because steel is a good conductor of heat, which means that it may take longer for the hot air to cook the food. You may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can you use steel bowl in air fryer?
Yes, you can use a steel bowl in an air fryer, but it is important to ensure that the bowl is oven safe and can withstand the high temperatures used in an air fryer. Additionally, it is important to check the size of the bowl to ensure it fits properly in the air fryer and does not impede the circulation of hot air. It is also recommended to use a heat-resistant mat or trivet to prevent the bowl from scratching or damaging the air fryer basket.
But I do not recommend using stainless steel bowl in the air fryer. Because air fryers use rapid hot air technology to cook food. The powerful fan circulates the hot air in a circular mode to cook food while the microwave oven uses radiation heat. If you use a steel bowl then the hot air can’t perform the best result.
If your steel bowl has any coat of paint then you should avoid it. Because steel can resist high heat but paint not. The paint slightly melts down after every use and mixes up with your food which is very risky for your health.
What are the advantages of using a steel bowl in an air fryer?
- Durability: Steel bowls are extremely durable and can withstand high temperatures and frequent use associated with air frying.
- Easy to Clean: Steel bowls are easy to clean and can be washed in a dishwasher. They are also resistant to stains and discoloration.
- Versatility: Steel bowls can be used for a variety of different foods and recipes. They are also suitable for cooking in ovens and on stovetops, making them versatile kitchen tools.
- Heat Retention: Steel is a good conductor of heat, which means that it heats up quickly and evenly. This can help to ensure that food is cooked evenly and thoroughly.
- Cost-effective: Steel bowls are generally less expensive than other types of cookware and can be found in most kitchenware stores.
- Scratch Resistant: Steel bowls are resistant to scratches and dings, which makes them a great option for use in the air fryer.
- Safe: Steel bowls are safe to use in the air fryer and are free from harmful chemicals that can leach into food.
What are the Disadvantages of using steel bowl in the air fryer
- Size and fit: Steel bowls may not fit perfectly in the air fryer basket, which can impede the circulation of hot air and affect the cooking time.
- Scratching: Steel bowls can scratch the air fryer basket, which can affect the performance and longevity of the appliance.
- Weight: Steel bowls are typically heavier than other materials, which can make it more difficult to remove them from the air fryer.
- Conductivity: Steel is a good conductor of heat, which means that it can become extremely hot and difficult to handle. This can be a safety hazard when removing food from the air fryer.
- Rusting: Steel bowls can rust if they are not properly cleaned and maintained, which can affect the taste and quality of the food.
- Cleaning: Steel bowls can be more difficult to clean than other materials, as they are more prone to staining and discoloration.
What are the alternatives to using a steel bowl in an air fryer?
Ceramic utensils are great against heat. Most of the ceramic bowls are coming with heatproof marks from the manufacturer. The ceramic bowls also don’t have any coat of paint or Teflon. They can resist heating up to 500°F and more. So ceramic bowls are a great alternative to stainless steel bowls to use in air fryers.
Silicone is one of the best materials to use in the air fryer or any oven. Silicone has high heat resistivity up to 500°F. They are flexible, easy to use for baking purposes, and easy to clean. You can use a silicone pot, silicone loaf pan, cupcake pan, etc.
The pyrex and borosilicate glasses utensils are best for use in the air fryer that I have mentioned in my previous article can I use a glass bowl in my air fryer? These glasses have high heat resistivity compared to regular glass bowls. If you use normal glass in the air fryer then it will be shattered into pieces and damage your air fryer.
Aluminum foil trays
Aluminum foil trays are oven safe, lightweight, and easy to clean. They are also non-stick, which makes them perfect for cooking in an air fryer.
Air fryer-specific baskets
Many air fryer manufacturers make specific baskets that can be used in the air fryer. These baskets are usually made of non-stick material and are designed to fit perfectly in the air fryer, which can improve the cooking performance.
Cast-Iron skillets are also oven safe and can withstand high temperatures and also non-stick. it is a good alternative for a steel bowl in the air fryer.
If my stainless steel bowl has a coat of paint?
If your steel bowl has a coat of paint you should avoid its use in your air fryer or any oven. Because the steel has good resistance against heat. Steel can resist heat up to 500°F but the coat of the paint does not resist. I do not recommend using a steel bowl that has a coat of paint.
In conclusion, while it is possible to use a steel bowl in an air fryer, it’s important to keep in mind the size of the bowl, the potential heat, and the cooking time. If you choose to use a steel bowl, make sure to use oven mitts or tongs to handle it and adjust the cooking time accordingly. It’s always best to stick with the appliance’s recommended accessories for better results. So, be careful and enjoy your healthy cooking.