Although an air fryer and a dehydrator appear to accomplish the same things, they indeed specialize in different ways! An air fryer cooks food utilizing hot rapid air circulation technology, whereas a dehydrator employs warm air to dry the water within the food.
The temperature of an air fryer can attain 450 degrees Fahrenheit, which is far more massive than the temperature of a dehydrator. But in the dehydrator, it varies from 95 to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Food cooks much more quickly when utilizing an air fryer because of the fast-flowing hot air that disseminates in the cooking chamber. The Air Fryer employs particularly little oil and is furnished with an accurate thermostat and detectors that regulate tasks encompassing frying duration, power, and temperature.
The dehydrator operates by heating the bag walls and enclosing the atmosphere, inducing moisture to disappear from the food, and fleeing the outside surface of the meal dryer than it is. It’s most commonly utilized to maintain food fresh.
Each gadget has its own set of characteristics that can furnish a variety of objectives! The best outcomes will be inferred by your cooking tendencies and how you prefer to utilize your gadget. This article will discover an air fryer vs dehydrator to alleviate you conclude which appliance is right for you.
Why should you dehydrate food?
The plurality of people prefers to maintain food utilizing a dehydrator. By eliminating the water content from the food, you are deterring bacteria from growing and expanding the shelf life of that meal.
Food moisture and invalidity are continually the sources of harmful germs. Dehydrating food is a popular alternative for those interpreting a raw food diet. They are still consuming raw food, but they can store it much lengthier after draining it.
Many people prefer to conserve the enzymes in their dehydrated food because they speculate they are helpful to their health and digestion. To keep the enzymes intact, you should generally retain your dehydration temperature below 112 degrees Fahrenheit.
When humid, they’re more susceptible to damage, so be comprehensive not to surpass this temperature at the beginning of your dehydration method. Enzymes have been noted to withstand temperatures as high as 140 degrees Fahrenheit when the meal.
What is an air fryer, and how does it work?
An air fryer is a kitchen gadget that utilizes hot air to cook food. This hot air is created by a heating element inside the air fryer, which is then whacked around the cooking cabin by a coexisting fan. The food is being cooked as the hot air circulates it. The recent bucket form of the air fryer corresponds to the contour of a deep-fat fryer, and the current air fryer conforms to the shape of a deep-fat fryer.
What can you cook in an air fryer?
The air fryer uses rapid air technology to cook food. So by using the air fryer you can air fry, roast, bake, reheat, and do much more cooking work in an air fryer. The air fryer crisps the outside and keeps moisture inside without using oil. It reduces up to 80% of oil consumption from your food. By using an air fryer you can cook frozen foods like french fries, frozen wings, and more. In some air fryers, you will get grill and rotisserie cooking modes.
The advantages & disadvantages of Using an Air Fryer
- There is no need for oil – The best advantage of using an air fryer is that you can cook food using a very little amount of oil without sacrificing the taste. It crips the outside and locks the moist inside.
- Healthy food – A health enthusiast person can also eat air-fried food.
- Small & compact – An air fryer is a small cooking appliance that you can easily portable from one place to another place. The space-saving design doesn’t take up extra space and is very suitable for small kitchen countertops.
- Easy to load and unload – The easily removable basket or doors makes it easy to load and remove food.
- Versatile cooking modes- You get multiple cooking modes with the air fryer like air fry, bake, reheat, roast, and many more. In some air fryers, you will get rotisserie, dehydrator, and grilling options. So this versatile cooking machine can replace your other cooking appliances.
- Fast and energy-efficient – Because small compact space, it takes very few minutes to catch the required temperature. The hot air circulates by a fan which works faster than any conventional oven. The air fryer is very energy efficient compared to bulky ovens.
- Convenient to use – The air fryer comes in two variants one is analog and another one is digital. In analog, you can manually adjust time and template by a knob while in digital you will get a touch control panel. Using the control system you can set any cooking mode for your food.
- Easy cleaning – Most of the air fryer baskets are dishwasher safe. The accessories included with the air fryer are also dishwasher safe.
- Not ideal for a large family – If you have a very large family then an air fryer will not be an ideal choice for your family. Because the air fryer has a very compact design and space limit so you can’t cook for everyone in a single batch. You need to cook for them in multiple batches. If you have a medium family of 4-5 members then an air fryer is the best option over the conventional ovens.
- Never over the crowd, the basket – The air fryer uses hot air circulation technology to cook food. If you overcrowd the basket with food the hot air doesn’t circulate evenly. So you will get uncooked food every time.
- Some air fryers have Teflon-coated baskets which are not good for health but there are many more variety air fryers available in the market. Stainless steel air fryers are durable and easy to clean. Glas air fryers and ceramic-coated air fryers are also best for cooking.
What is a food dehydrator and how does it work?
When you exhaust foods, you are practically maintaining them uncooked (since they are barely heated above 112 degrees Fahrenheit) but eliminating the water amount. When dehydrating food, a succession of warm air is employed to dry off the moisture.
A lot of food, on regular, has a water content of at least 50%. This is eliminated during the dehydration procedure, occurring in an entirely new aspect of dried food. This is the most realistic means to dehydrate food.
To dehydrate food, cut it into thin pieces, then employ a dehydrator setting to excavate the thinly sliced food to lower the weather for a couple of hours to dry it out.
What can you cook in a dehydrator?
Using a food dehydrator you can dehydrate fruit slices, veggies, and herbs to store for a long period of time without losing color and healthy nutrients. You can also dry up the meat and beef jerky at 160°F to kill bacteria and removes moisture. This also can be used to crust pizza slices, cookies, and many more.
The advantages and disadvantages of a Food Dehydrator
- The dehydrated food can be stored for a long period of time because the water content is fully removed by using a dehydrator. If you buy veggies or meat in bulk amounts then you can easily store them by using a dehydrator.
- Dehydrated food doesn’t lose its nutritional value because of slow cooking.
- It maintains the vitality of food for a long period of time.
- While dehydrating dried meat you can mix them with your favorite herbal mixture to get your favorite flavor
- Using a dehydrator is very easy because of the convenient controlling system. You can manually adjust the time and temperature for your required recipe.
- This food dehydrator are do not take up large space on your kitchen countertop.
- Easy to clean the racks because of dishwasher safe.
- They aren’t high-priced gadgets.
- A dehydrator takes several hours of time to cook food so you need to check multiple times a day to get the best result.
- A food dehydrator can have large dimensions so it takes up a large area on your kitchen countertop.
- A cheap dehydrator makes a loud noise while a premium makes less.
- As an outcome, your electricity bill may rise.
- Some dehydrators are relatively enormous and cumbersome.
- Food’s look and flavor alteration as an outcome of dehydration.
Difference between Air Fryer vs Dehydrator
I have mentioned some points on Air fryer vs dehydrator. So that you will understand deeply about it
- The main difference between an air fryer and a dehydrator is cooking time. An air fryer works on rapid air technology to cook food and takes some minutes while a dehydrator takes several hours.
- The air fryer’s heating system produces high temperatures of up to 400°F to cook food while the food dehydrator only attains 150°F.
- The air fryer crisps the outside and moist locks the inside but the dehydrator removes all the moisture from the food.
- An air fryer has only two to three racks for dehydrating but a dehydrator has multiple cooking racks.
- The ventilation of the air fryer is not good as the dehydrator.
- The air fryer food will go bad in a few hours but dehydrated food can be stored for a month or above.
What are the Similarities between an air fryer and a food dehydrator
- Electricity is utilized in both air fryers and dehydrators to elicit food. Air fryers prefer between 1400 and 1600 watts. Food dehydrators, on the other hand, use about 600 W.
- Both are using warm air to cook food while the air fryer uses high heat rapid air technology and the dehydrator uses slow cooking technology.
- Both the air fryer and the dehydrator healthfully prepare food.
- Both the dehydrator and the air fryer are undoubtedly simple to wash.
- Both can cook various foods, but air fryers deliver more significant opportunities.
Best two air fryers with dehydrator features available on the market
#1. Chefman 6.3 quart air fryer with dehydrator function
An air fryer with a dehydrator function is a great alternative to having only an appliance that only dehydrates and nothing more! The Chefman 6.3 quart digital air fryer comes with a dehydrator function and many more cooking modes like air fry, reheat, bake, and rotisserie for nearly any cooking task. The build quality of the air fryer is quietly impressive.
You will get a 6.3-quart cooking capacity cavity with two shelves that divide the space vertically into 2 layers. So you can dehydrate the veggies, herbs, fruits, and meat slices in a single layer. The air fryer is controlled by a fully digital control system.
Using the control system you can adjust the temperature from 90°F to 400°F prematurely. The timer can also be set from minutes to several hours. This slower cooking temperature helps you to get perfect dehydrated veggies, herbs and meats, beef jerky, and many more. You will get 8 preset options to make any kitchen task easy – from frying and roasting to dehydrating and baking!
With the air fryer, you will get include 2 air flow racks, rotisserie spit and forks, a rotating basket/retrieval tool, and a drip tray. Removable drip tray and dishwasher-safe parts make cleaning a breeze.
#2. Best choice air fryer with dehydrator feature
One of the best popular air fryer ovens is the Best 16.9-quart digital air fryer. The air fryer comes with a large 16.9-quart cooking capacity cavity where you can cook a large quantity of food in a single batch of cooking. The stainless steel build quality provides a premium look to your kitchen while the pull-down door helps you to monitor the cooking progress.
The 1800W motor helps to efficiently cook food in the healthiest way possible by cutting over 85% of fats, while an included baking tray also acts as a drip tray to catch any excess oil. The air fryer has a dehydration function with a timer for up to 24 hours. from 90°F to 400°F. Using the digital control system you can easily adjust cooking time, temperature, and cooking modes.
Pre-set cooking options vary from meat to baked goods and much more. The viewable on the LCD touchscreen display shows the time, and temperature to ensure the best results. You will get 12 accessories including wire racks, a skewer rack set, and even a rotating basket! Cleaning is also very easy by using a damp cloth. The included accessories are dishwasher safe.
Best two food dehydrators available on the market
#1. Cosori stainless steel food dehydrator
If you are looking for a dehydrator for your large family, I think the dehydrator will be your best choice. The cosori stainless steel food dehydrator is totally designed in California. The whole outer and inner body is made of food-grade stainless steel. The stainless steel finish offers a premium look to your kitchen countertop.
The dimension of the dehydrator is 17.72 x 13.15 x 12.05 inches but the compact design doesn’t take up extra space on your countertop. The French glass door and inner light will help you to monitor the dehydration process without opening the window. The dehydrator comes with 6 stainless steel trays, one mesh screen, and one fruit roll sheet.
The dehydrator uses a digital control panel with a small LCD display where you can ensure time and temperature for the best result. You can set the timer in 30-minute increments for up to 48 hours. The dehydrator works on 120V with a 600-watt heating system. It can produce heat from 95°F to 165°F temperature.
Using the dehydrator you can make healthy beef jerky, snacks, fruit leathers, dog treats, bread crumbs, yogurt, and for preserving herbs, flowers, and much more. It’s very convenient to use by pressing the start button the dehydrator will start and produce noise of less than 48dB.
In safety features it comes with an auto shut-off function, the dehydrator will stop after the ending of the timer. Overheat protection which prevents overcooking and accidents. The trays are BPA-free so you can use them without any worry. Cleaning the trays is very easy by using a dishwasher.
#2. Commercial Chef food dehydrator
If you are looking for a food dehydrator at an affordable price range then this will be the best choice for you. The commercial chef food dehydrator. The dehydrator comes with 5 layers of circular trays. It can hold enough food items for drying in a single batch of drying.
The dehydrator is made of plastic material that’s why it’s so lightweight and easy to portable anywhere. The dimension o the air fryer is 9.92 x 9.43 x 7.01 inches. The compact design doesn’t take up extra space on your kitchen countertop. The dehydrator is equipped with a 280-watt power heating system which produces a heat range from 104°F to 158°F temperature. The dehydrator slowly removes the moisture from veggies, herbs, fruits, and meats without losing the nutrients. This food dryer is suitable for a variety of homemade foods like mushrooms and turkey—as well as snacks like banana chips, fruit roll-ups, and beef jerky.
Rotary knobs help you to set the required temperature and leave the rest work on the dehydrator. You can monitor the cooking progress through the transparent plastic cover. The dehydrator is also very easy to clean. The trays are dishwasher-safe and easy to store.
What will be compared and contrasted?
While both appliances perform admirably and provide more favorable results, air fryers are more ingenious. You can utilize them for cooking, sautéing, heating, and even dehydrating your food. Although the latter will become much better in a dehydrator, you can still accomplish a fine finish. When acquiring a gadget, you prefer to ensure that you get the vast deal feasible.
It would be a lie to state that one piece of equipment surpasses the other in trustworthiness. It all boils down to the equipment utilized in its structure and the manufacturer. Technology and quality control have progressed to the point where even the most essential criteria will accomplish admirably without inducing any complications. In other words, reimbursing a higher expense does not ensure that your appliance will work well. You’re solely paying for more aspects you may or may not employ.
The user-friendliness of equipment should be one of the most substantial elements to contemplate before acquiring it. Realizing how to utilize your dehydrator or air fryer will assist you to lengthen its lifespan, but it will also authorize you to take advantage of its characteristics.
Both air fryers and dehydrators are accessible to a variety of pricing expanses. As you go up in price and start looking at the more precious ones, you’ll find more alternatives, considerable capability, and superior materials.
#5. Cleaning Efficiency
It would help if you rinsed the basket or tray in each at least once a day. This will furnish suitably sterile functioning conditions and keep awful odors and flavors at bay. When it arrives to essential expenditure, both appliances should be somewhat susceptible to maintenance, as eliminating the components where you cook your food is moderately precise.
Mostly Asked Questions on Air Fryer vs Dehydrator
#1. Is it better to use a dehydrator instead of an air fryer?
With a small proportion of oil, an air fryer can be utilized for frying, baking, grilling, and roasting food. Your meal will have a crunch of deep-fried cuisine without the additional calories. A dehydrator abolishes the water from the food and dries it, improving the flavor.
#2. What is the shelf life of dehydrated foods?
Dried foods should be maintained in a relaxed, dry, and dark atmosphere. The storage duration for dry goods is four months to one year. Because heat affects food integrity, the storage temperature impacts the storage time; the higher the temperature, the shorter the storage duration.
#3. In an air fryer, what can I dehydrate?
Exhaust your favorite fruits, vegetables, and even meats for a healthy, long-lasting snack in your air fryer. Air frying is a terrific procedure to elicit the exact homemade snack that is adequate for most diets, encompassing the raw vegan diet, which can be disputing to follow.
Final Thoughts on Air Fryer vs Dehydrator
French fries, chicken fingers, onion rings, mozzarella sticks, and even pizza may be heated in an air fryer. Beef jerky, dried fruit, dried vegetables, and dried sprouts can all be prepared with dehydrators.
An air fryer is a way to go if you prefer to cut down on cooking and cleanup. If you choose to maintain food, dehydrators are enormous.
We have mentioned almost everything about Air fryer vs Dehydrator appliances. So, Before concluding, we instruct that you analyze all of the variables.